Monday, May 5, 2008

Why am I inside?


It's sunny and seventy degrees outside. Those of us in Cambridge know too well that this weather is rare -- God must love Harvard very much today, as He rarely let's the sun shine here. (Given Harvard's endowment, I think God shows His loves this institutions in other ways).
But enough about God.

Alas, I am inside. Why? But to write of course!

I'd kill to be a wealthy Harvard undergrad today. The term is almost up, the sun is out, and we have Urban Outfitters down the street from the main quad. Man, if I were an undergrad, I'd hang out on the green grass, laugh it up with my other Harvard undergrad pals, and then head over to Urban Outfitters. I'd buy some ueber-hip tank top and stop off at Grendel's den for a beer.

That would be grand. But I ain't an undergrad. Even worse, I ain't even an official grad student anymore. That means I'm nothin' . . . at least to other grad students and my ex advisor.

Therefore I must become an author, not just a writer, and fast! If only I hadn't been seduced by great philosophy and literature as an undergrad. If I had had any sense, I would've focused on becoming a doctor or something useful. But now I'm cursed. I'm too "educated" to work as a receptionist (nobody will hire me, otherwise I'd gladly answer phones) and too cynical to go back to the Ivory Tower. Admittedly, since I've been unemployed ever since I left grad school - that was last summer - the thought of going back is enticing.

I've survived off of my writing. Lemme tell you something about that: freelance writing sucks. Why? Let's make a list:

1) you have to wait to get paid
2) while you wait to get paid, you fear that you'll NEVER get paid
3) you have to wait to get paid, worry that you won't get paid, and ignore more important (insert novel here) stuff
4) most gigs pay like crap
5) the gigs that do pay well suck - you're hired to write papers for lousy undergrads
6) it's not "real" work - nobody you know (even you) believes it's legit
7) the pay sucks

My sissie likes writing for College Candy, and they treat her well. I'm glad about that. She won't tell me, however, if they pay her. Whatever. Maybe she's working there for free. Who knows? Who cares? As long as she enjoys contributing to their site, I'm supportive of her. Besides, I like that place. It's pretty fun.

OK, I'm gonna look out the window, imagine the kids tossing Frisbees around, and then bury myself in some books about Proust. Yippee.

No comments: