Friday, May 2, 2008

Agents, Agents every where, but not a one of 'em will drink!

So, I'm a fantasy writer of sorts, and not yet (big emphasis on 'yet') published. That means I'm not really an author, just a writer at the moment. I'm fine with that. No, wait. That's not true. I'm not fine with that. I want to be a writer more than anything else in this world. I mean, I wouldn't go as far as Faust, but then again, Mephisto hasn't been stomping around my cavernous library lately. One never really knows, unless they're asked by the Prince of Darkness.

Although I'm relatively new to the game, I'm proud to say that I've at least been able to get the attention of about twenty-five literary agents. I am not being boastful either - those 25 have actually written me personal e-mails and asked to look at my stuff. But that's not the real challenge. As you writers know (even those who are published, save for the hacks who just got a deal cuz their last name was Bush, Hilton, or whatever), rejection is just part of the deal. But there's something to be learned. I know, I know, I know. That sounds ueber-cheesy, but it's true. Use it as a device to become humbler. I swear, I'm providing you with some good advice.

It's all very humbling to receive these types of replies: "no, thanks," "I'm afraid you're not the best match for our agency," etc. If these came via mail, I'd be able to redecorate my bathroom with fancy letterhead from literary agents. Instead, it's all boxed up electronically, so I can only stuff it away in a category in my e-mail account called "Agent Rejections." But I digress. Humility can do wonders for you, especially if you're prone to being insane.

At least I can now say that I have another label in my e-mail account called "Bitin' Agents." That's encouraging as hell.

My fanciful book is pretty fantastic. It's set in the Midwest - Kansas to be exact. In an ordinary suburb, a little girl's dreams, as well as her nightmares, turn out to be very real indeed. That's the worst way of putting it, as my pitch is really honed - I'm quite proud of it, and I've managed to at least snag the attention of a bunch of agents momentarily. That's when they move to the next step, request a partial, and then write back with a polite "no." Agents are so overworked, that they wanna be given any reason to say "no." Suffice to say, don't take it personally.

C'est la vie.

OK, back to the drawing board.

In the meantime, you should check out Sarah Disgrace's blog. It's quite funny.
http://sarahdisgrace.blogspot.com/ - I've listed it below, but since I've been trolling around her site lately, I thought I'd list it in this entry, too.

Who knew? She loves Tina Fey as much as I do! Plus, she likes cupcakes, just like Amy Sedaris. Aaaah, isn't that cool?

All right, I gotta murder a child in my book. Being a writer is almost criminal.

No comments: